Automatic Fire Extinguishing Systems
Automatic fire extinguishing systems with sprinklers wet type, dry chemical powder, foam, extinguishing hoods and gas are separated.
In environments where there is risk of freezing if in this case the dry sprinkler system should be preferred. compressed gas or compressed air instead of water in the pipes should be taken, it should be gas or air pressure system with a drop of water. Despite the water (part of the valve) is found, it must be protected against freezing.
Corrosive substances taken and fuel oil, LPG, NG water as possible inside the hangar to store the material or foam systems are not extinguished.These pumps are pressed foam instead of water mains in the system. The concentrated foam is pressed at a predetermined mixture ratio of the network with the operation of the pumps. The nozzle used in the foam system is slightly different in shape from the sprinklers.
And water, as well as in places that can not be extinguished with foam (computer rooms, DataBank, etc.) are used in places such as FM-200 systems or CO2 fire extinguishing system. The nozzle used in these systems are more sensitive compared to sprinklers and foam nozzles. Below this kind have nozzles sample images used in a system
Wet Type Sprinkler Fire Extinguishing System
Wet type sprinkler fire extinguishing systems, flammable chemicals in the body, are established to protect the enclosed area where the solid material which does not contain explosive material. Within the system, tank water containing specified amounts sufficient to hydraulic calculations, pump group, which will carry the water to the system, the system operation and control is effective with wet alarm valve stations, monitoring key butterfly valves, flow switches, line pipe on the area to be protected and sprinklers are available.
This type of sprinkler system protected by large areas. the area to be protected is too large (eg 10.000m2) divided into the broken section of this area. This section of the “Zone” is called. Each Zone is fed through the branch on the main distribution line. This power line monitoring to ensure control of the switching of butterfly valves and flow switch per Zone, while the end of the line is put to the test and can test and drain valve to drain line.
working principle of the system are; Due to the heat the resulting fire sprinklers in any of those fires in the area. water pressure in the line is suddenly reduced after the explosion. Meanwhile, in a short time alarm valve allows the passage of water and creates audible warning. Previously pumps made pressure settings pressure begin to push the water they absorb from the store on the line falls. In this process until water runs out or until the storage system will continue until there is a response. In order to maintain the functionality of such systems, complete maintenance is twice a year, and it is necessary to test the system. Also feeding system should be operated weekly pumps and performance measurement must be performed. Otherwise the efficiency of the system in fire may not be sufficient, which may cause serious damage to undergo the investment.
Dry Chemical Powder Fire Extinguishing Systems
Dry-type sprinkler system with water freezing or evaporating risk of storage areas, hangars, solid structures such as sheds located within protected. Such systems through the wet system, the alarm valve group is not located on the main line of air instead of water in the downstream piping. The area to be protected because of the temperature conditions can freeze water can evaporate or so compressed air tubing in the locality will be protected and kept in the air is kept under constant pressure.
This type of sprinkler system should also be wet type of care as is done 2 times a year and should be tested weekly run and pump group. Dry kimyevil extinguishing system is a more efficient and inexpensive system based on gas and extinguishing. There is a wide range of uses to be effective.Design, installation, commissioning and maintenance are effortless systems that require short periods of time. A, B and C class fires are very effective. Higher flow coefficient, which do not mix with water and an extinguisher which create toxic products during the fighting. In tests, 2 times compared to CO2 fire extinguishing systems; According to the sprinkler system it was determined to be 4 to 5 times more effective.
– Gas filling areas,
– Industrial vehicles,
– Mechanical rooms,
– Flammable liquid storage,
– Paint booths,
– Conveyor – belt system paint ovens and dryers,
– Flammable flammable substances in the manufacturing areas, and process lines,
– Some production areas in refineries,
– Helicopter landing platforms (Helipad)
– Medicine, food, printing and plastics industries facilities,
– Chemical, paint, rubber and plastic industrial plants,
– Generator rooms
– Pump rooms,
– Clipboard rooms,
– Transformer rooms.
Cautions are using:
Other fire extinguishing systems in nature, and the matters to be considered regarding the harmful effects Given the potential harm to people and equipment to relatively low use of this system are:
– It should be made despite the risk of developing different types of chemical mixtures with chemical combination that can damage the system.
– Dry chemical in itself does not cause corrosion, but when used in very humid environments can influence corrosion is not cleaned as soon as possible.
– Not cleaned in a short time, it can be seen corrosive effects on sensitive surfaces.
– Content of free oxygen radicals with chemicals (eg cellulose nitrate) kimyevil dry quenching system is not effective.
– In metal fire (eg potassium, titanium, zirconium) it is not an effective method.
– Ordinary combustible fire inside of (deep-seated fire) in environments where it may not be able to continue to remain effective for dry chemical surface.
– Dry chemical extinguishers may not be an appropriate instrument for the protection of exposed electrical contacts which may be affected by dust.
Transactions may be made for cleaning:
The shape of the cleaning process against nature and sensitivity of the equipment and the urgency is determined. Before starting the cleaning process must be downloaded all electrical switches, flow should be sure to cut. In addition, the locations in order to ensure a proper cleaning equipment manufacturer must be obtained from cleaning the criteria they envisaged and implemented.
– Dry chemical is removed from the room with a broom or vacuum devices and surfaces are cleaned with a soft cloth.
– After waiting sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate-based dry chemical to neutralize and to eliminate the corrosive effect can be sprayed onto the surface of 2% vinegar and 98% warm water for a few minutes, rinse with warm water.
– Monoammonium phosphate based dry powder with hot water and baking soda to neutralize the mixture (1 cup carbonate three gallons of water) and allowed to stand for a few minutes after being sprayed, rinsed with warm water.
– It can be cleaned with mild soap and water after the warm water.
– To drain the remaining water on the surface after cleaning or dry air is sprayed on surfaces to remove.
– Electrical contacts affected by the dry chemical extinguishing after the electrical contacts should be cleaned with special cleaners.
Foam Fire Suppression System
The community formed by bubbles of foam concentrate with water and air under pressure fire fighting foam is called.
Foam; foam concentrate, water and air occurs. It carries special risks including flammable and combustible liquids, storage tanks, tank filling areas, in areas such as low-emissive foam sprinkler systems can be applied. The system frees the foam bubbles to the liquid surface. Thus, creating a layer focused on cooling and flammable liquid surface extinguish the fire. It is desirable to fill the area of the foam with air where high throughput Efforts to prevent contact of the fire-foam systems are preferred. Well-made foam; stability, viscosity, fire fast locking, heat resistance, vapor retention, preventing re-glare and has features such as fire fighting effectively.
It is divided into three classes according to their fire foam expansion rate:
– Low expansion foam 20 until 1
– Medium expansion foam 20: 1 to 200: 1 from
– High-expansion foams 200: more than 1
– Tank farms,
– Ports and piers,
– Tanker filling – unloading areas,
– Storage areas,
– Production areas,
– Chemical process areas,
– Aircraft hangars,
– Helicopter hangars,
– Military facilities,
– Energy production areas,
– Generator rooms
– Maritime aerial platforms,
– Civil defense
– The fire brigade,
Fire Extinguishing System
Gas extinguishing system, water or foam to extinguish harmful and / or dangerous data processing centers, electrical panel room, provide protection of closed areas where systems such as UPS rooms. According to the type of gas used in the system is divided into two kinds:
– CO2 extinguishing system,
– 2- fm200’l extinguishing system.
CO2 gas extinguishing systems for electric and board rooms as well as the constant presence of personnel, FM200 preferable for the preservation of closed areas where extinguishing the permanent staff assigned to rooms such as UPS
This type of extinguishing system in fire detection, closed space located dedector place thanks.then the signal from the detector to the panel, the solenoid valve opens and drains into the room from the nozzle through which the gas pipe located within the pressure tube. It would release oxygen in the room with the gas discharge room. Thus, the remaining oxygen in the room fire extinguishing operation is completed. This system should be fully closed room to work properly otherwise pressurized gas is evacuated without affecting fire.
– Power transmission rooms
– Power generator sets
– Engine rooms
– Recording rooms
– Cable and installation galleries
– Electrical distribution room / center,
– Computer rooms
– Flammable liquid storage areas
– Publishing houses
– Industrial Furnaces
– Large commercial cooking areas
– Tape, disk, floppy disk storage,
– Telephone exchanges,
– Telecommunications center,
– Transformers and power distribution rooms,
– Medical, industrial laboratories and chemistry labs,
– Bank deposit boxes,
– Archives and libraries,
– Museums and art galleries,
– Flammable liquid stores (acetone).
Hood Fire Extinguishing System
The hood extinguishing system, hotels, restaurants, the cooker hoods of the sections in the kitchen of businesses like cafes used to prevent fires that may occur. Buildup becomes a layer in the hood oils can bring fire occurs. This on-site system as in extinguishing fire detection circuit and quenching circuit. Although located in pipeline pressure through the foam nozzle of the tube when the fire is detected it is transmitted to the parts that need to be extinguished. In this type of extinguishing systems, extinguishing nozzles it is directed to the process because it must be put directly in a relatively short period of time.
Maintenance and re-filling system
The occupancy rate of the extinguishing liquid during periodic maintenance, cylinder connections and the expansion of anti-cylinder disk in his mouth, propellant cartridge check is performed. It melts used in the solder nozzle and detection fats accumulated material cleaned with degreaser. Nozzle protection caps are checked, renewed those lost. distribution pipes in order to prevent a possible blockage in the pipe inside before start up again when the system is activated should be washed with a special detergent. with nitrogen or dry air is tested for the presence of clogged pipes. The surface should be washed with hot soapy water using a cloth or sponge. The system must be re-filling and re-installation.
Source: MEGEP,Fire Extinguishing and Fire Extinguishing Systems